Law College has established in Andhra University in 1945 in order to meet a long felt need for a College of Law in this part of the country, which was then a part of the province of Madras. It must be said that the College owes its genesis to the farsightedness and wisdom of Dr. C.R.Reddy, the foundation Vice-Chancellor of this University, who, in consultation with Jurists like Sri Lionel Leach, Chief Justice of Madras, Sri P.V.Rajamannar, the then Advocate General of Madras, Sri V.Govindarajachari, Advocate and a few others, laid its foundations. In a message which he gave on the occasion of the formal inauguration of the College by Sri P.V.Rajamannar, Judge of the Madras High Court, on 4th August, 1945 at Machilipatnam, Dr. Reddy emphasized the need for enriching the Academic study of law in the Universities as contrasted with the mere training for forensic practice. He visualized this institution as a centre for comparative and interdisciplinary study of Law, feeding the stream of national life with teachers and juries consults as well as practicing lawyers. The College started functioning from 4th July, 1945 in a private building in Machilipatnam, belonging to one Sri JanakiRam Naidu. At that time the University was at Guntur due to exigencies of the Second World War. For about a fortnight, Sri K.V.Gopalaswamy, M.A., (Oxon) Bar-at-Law, was "Interim Professor-in-charge". In July, 1949 the College was shifted to the University Campus at Waltair. Since then the college had outstanding jurists and Legal Luminaries as the Members of the Faculty such as the venerated Prof. S.Venkataraman, Prof. G.C.V.Subba Rao, Prof. V.Balasubrahmaniam, Prof. D.Gopalakrishna Sastry, Prof A.S.Ramachandra Rao, Prof. V.Lakshmana Rao all of who also are no more Prof. B.S.Murty (Retired), Prof. K.Gupteswar (Retired) among others. The College which was for quite a long time a Department of Arts, Commerce and Law College, has been reconstructed as a separate College of Law on 14th April, 1989. As a mark of respect towards the great son of India and chief architect of the Constitution of India Dr.BhimaRao Ramji Ambedkar, the College has been renamed as Andhra University, Dr. B.R.Ambedkar College of law with effect from 10-05-1991.
Find all the latest Notifications and information regarding our college here at this zone.
Received Ph.D in Law for work on SEARCH AND SEIZURE under PROF.A.LAXMINATH( NAGPUR UNIVERSITY )Awarded on 19-01-1999 .
Andhra UniversityWaltair Junction
College of LAWInside INDIA prefix : 0891 284