- Name : Dr. A. Kamala Kumari
- Designation : Head of Department
- Phone : (+91) 9440540237
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org -->
The Department of Instrument Technology was started as Instrument Manufacturing Section in 1937 and instituted as full-fledged separate department in 1946 as Department of Applied Physics with Instrumentation, Optics and Electronics as Specializations. In view of the growing emphasis on Instrumentation Engineering the Department was shifted to College of Engineering and renamed as the Department of Instrument Technology in 1990 by offering the programs B.Tech.(Instrumentation Engineering), M.Tech. (Instrumentation and Control) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). The Department of Instrument Technology is a unique Department in the state of Andhra Pradesh with Multidisciplinary Curriculum produces well qualified & Trained graduate Engineers to work in the fields of Process Instrumentation & Automation specialization for Local, National and Global industries in the field of Process Industries and manufacturing Industries. All the Programs Offered by the department are accredited by NBA as well as NAAC with A grade (3.65 score on 4.0 scale). The department is well known for its research and consultancy in the areas of Sensors, Instrumentation and Automation, MEMS, Nano Technology. More than 50 Ph.Ds. have been awarded and another 30 are in progress which shows its stability towards Research and advancement in Instrumentation. All faculty members are Doctorates and guiding actively good number of Research scholars and papers published are from Internationally reputed journals like IEEE, Springer, Elsevier etc. The alumni are leading the Industries as Instrumentation division Heads in Industries like Vizag Steel plant, HPCL etc. Many of our graduates passed out from the department serving in various Capacities in Local and National industries such as HPCL, SAIL RINL, NTPC, ONGC, IOL, Reliance, L&T, ITC, Vedanta, JSW steels Etc. Many of our Graduates works as scientists/Engineers in National Research Laboratories as Head of the divisions in Organizations like ISRO, BARC, DRDO and other Research laboratories and there is much scope for University and Industry Interaction. The Department is well known in the Visakhapatnam region for its consultancy services specially for testing and calibration of the equipment and the major clients includes VSP, L&T, Reliance etc. Instrumentation being Inter disciplinary in nature has more scope for latest technologies like IOT, Robotics, VLSI etc. Many of our students are being placed in Core companies and in MNCs.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
Instrumentation Engineering department shall strive to act as a podium for the development and transfer of technical competence in academics, entrepreneurship and research in the field of Instrumentation Engineering to meet the changing needs of society.
The Department will strive to become a center for excellence in the field of Instrumentation and Control Engineering to enriching the students with Quality Education, Contemporary Technologies to meet the global needs.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To provide modular Programmes from skill development to the research level
- To impart Education and training in innovative state-of-the-art technology in the field of Instrumentation Engineering.
- To promote holistic development among the students
- To provide extension services to rural society, industry professionals, institutions of research and higher learning in the field of Instrumentation Engineering.
- To interact with the industry, educational and research organizations, and Alumni in the fields of curriculum development, training and research for sustainable social development and changing needs of society.
|Name of the Program
|B.Tech. Instrumentation Engineering
|M.Tech. Instrumentation and Control
|Ph.D in Instrumentation Engineering
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO.1. To provide students with a solid foundation in Mathematics, Engineering Sciences, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering which prepares students for wide range of career opportunities in Industries, Research field and in academics.
- PEO.2. To train the students with good engineering breadth to comprehend, analyze, innovate and design new products in core and multidisciplinary domain, to provide technical solutions to real life problems and to render technical services to the needs of the society.
- PEO.3. To provide students with an academic environment of excellence, proactiveness, leadership positions in multidisciplinary teams and lifelong learning for successful professional career.
- PEO.4. To inculcate professional and ethical attitude, creative, effective communication and presentation skills and enhanced ability to work in teams to pursue complex, open ended investigations and research.
- PEO.5. To motivate students towards becoming entrepreneurs, collaborators and innovators, leading or participating in efforts to address social, technical and business challenges
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1. Engineering Knowledge: The students shall be able to apply the principles of Basic Sciences and Mathematical skills in learning in Basic Engineering subjects. The knowledge gained thus enables the students to apply them in learning the core branch i.e., Instrumentation Engineering.
- PO2. Problem Analysis: The students shall acquire Analytical Thinking; Problem solving abilities, get exposure to the modern computational procedures and apply them in the core Instrumentation Engineering.
- PO3. Design and Development of Solutions: The background knowledge gained, the Analytical and computational skills acquired by the students shall enable the students to apply them in the core Instrumentation Engineering to design electronic circuits, highly sensitive sensor networks for monitoring and control of various physical, chemical, and Industrial parameters and processes.
- PO4. Conduct of Investigations into Complex Problems: The students shall be able to apply the knowledge and adopt research methodologies for the modernization of existing designs of Instruments, design sophisticated instrumentation systems interfaced to dedicated embedded controllers or High-end computers. They shall be able to Acquire, Analyze, Interpret and Control any complex processes or problems in Industry and R&D.
- PO5. Usage of Modern Tools: The students gain expertise in the utilization of modern software tools like C, JAVA, Multisim, Signal and Image processing tools for applications in communications, Biomedical (ECG, EEG, MRI) etc. Hardware gadgets like the Digital Storage Oscilloscopes, Function Generators, Spectrum Analyzers; and ultra-sensitive instruments like the UV-VIS and Infra- Red Spectrophotometers, Chromatographs, Process control stations etc. for applications in Industry and R&D.
- PO6. Engineers and Society: The students of Instrumentation engineering should be motivated to utilize their Scientific, Technological, Computational and Instrumentation skills for the better addressing the societal needs. Design new sophisticated instruments for the high-end Research and Process Industries, Pharmaceutical and Bio-medical fields. They should also utilize their expertise to develop indigenous technologies, instruments, gadgets, affordable by common people. Design inexpensive healthcare systems and extend the same to the remote areas through telemedical network system making use of Satellite facility.
- PO7. Environment and Sustainability: Instrumentation Engineering is a multi-disciplinary branch. The students shall be motivated to utilize their knowledge for design of highly sensitive and low energy consumption, low radiation emitting, lower environment polluting instruments, operating on renewable energy sources and implement all such measures to sustain the quality of the environment.
- PO8.Ethics: The students are motivated to follow a code of ethics and moral perspectives at the individual level as well as professional level to protect the interests of all the stakeholders, with a concern for societal responsibilities.
- PO9. Individual and Team work: Communication skills, Aptitude development programs, Team activities like SPIKES National level workshops/ Seminar Presentations etc. contribute greatly for the development of individual talents/skills. Involvement in Professional, Cultural, Sports activities provided in the institute shall also develop capabilities of a student to mould oneself as an Individual member, Team leader or an Organizer.
- PO10. Communication Skills: The intensity of inputs (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing Skills) inputs and trainings imparted through all these activities, the students shall acquire excellent communication skills both oral as well as writing skills. They shall be able to transform their innovative ideas into excellent technical reports for presentation or publication in seminars and journals.
- PO11. Project Management and Finance: The students shall be able to conceptualize ideas, formulate projects, visualize their execution and realize final product. The students shall demonstrate the skills required for drafting of proposals for projects with thorough understanding of the procurement plans (materials, software, hardware), project management and financial allocations and management during the execution of the project.
- PO12. Life-Long learning: The students shall be motivated to keep themselves in-tune with the contemporary changes in technological processes through life-long learning and contribute their expertise for the benefit of the current stake holders and the society.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO.1. Specify, design, prototype and test Instrumentation systems that perform processing as per user requirements using contemporary devices and technology.
- PSO.2. Develop hardware and software tools/ programs used in industrial and other automation systems.
- PSO.3. Inculcate comprehensive education in Instrumentation engineering to ensure core competency in Instrumentation, Control and Automation.
- PSO.4. Conduct themselves in a responsible, professional and ethical manner supporting sustainable economic development which enhances the quality of life.